Thank you to everyone who attended
From Poverty to Possibilities, November 14, 2023
Edgar Villanueva to Keynote From Poverty to Possibilities
United Way of Pierce County’s 7th Annual Summit on Poverty
From Poverty to Possibilities is Pierce County’s signature community summit that takes on barriers to economic equity. This year's event will be held in the Pavilion at the Hotel Murano. Last year we had over 250 community leaders and community members attend.
Our keynote speaker this year is Edgar Villanueva. He is an award-winning author, activist and expert on issues of race, wealth, philanthropy, and ESG Investing. Villanueva is the Principal of Decolonizing Wealth Project and Liberated Capital and author of the bestselling book Decolonizing Wealth (2018, 2021). He advises a range of organizations including national and global philanthropies, Fortune 500 companies, and entertainment on social impact strategies to advance racial equity from within and through their investment strategies.
Villanueva holds a BSPH and MHA from the Gillings Global School of Public Health at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He is an enrolled member of the Lumbee Tribe and resides in New York City.
Post Event Survey
Edgar Villanueva Keynote address
- Drayton Jackson, Executive Director, Foundation of Homeless and Poverty Management
- Steven Cole-Schwartz, Vice President of Grantmaking, Inatai Foundation
- Katie Condit, CEO, WorkForce Central
- Dr. Ali Modarres, Dean, School of Urban Studies, Assistant Chancellor for Community Partnerships at University of Washington Tacoma
- Cassandra Mitchell, Senior Vice President Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategy and Engagement
From Poverty to Possibilities Synopsis
From Poverty to Possibilities Condensed Video
Thank you to this year’s sponsors,